Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sickness, and a New Look

It is a uniquely powerless place, being sick. Throughout childhood up to adulthood I have rarely had to deal with it. Apart from the onset of the Texas flatland's wonderful allergies, I'm used to good health.

Right now, though, I am just trying to get by. Two weeks ago I missed work and class due to an eye infection. A week ago -- in Austin, dealing with much more important matters -- I was besieged with said allergies. Then returning home to Atlanta I caught the flu, and have been more or less totally incapacitated for three days.

Sickness, and death, and no power to change either. Prayer has been a friend these days. I would also say community, but being displaced distorts community in such times, because sickness entails not seeing people, and our grieving community is thousands of miles away. And my wife is in the air as we speak!

No lessons; just reflecting. God's good grace is never far off. Two nights ago I read Psalm 54 for what felt like the first time in my life, and it was a great comfort to me, for whatever reason. I never know what to do with Psalms that seem easily Christological, but they are always powerful regardless.

On a different note, the look of this blog has been grating on me for some time, and I decided to try something new. My friend Patrick Gosnell (whose website has now officially launched, and who also designed the inaugural poster for our Trio Film Festival movie marathon!) designed the new banner across the top, which replaced the earlier cheap look, but things still weren't sitting well with me.

So I went with a whole new look. Let me know what you think. There just seemed to be too much blue everywhere -- light, dark, middling, all hard on the eyes. So we're trying something a bit sharper, a bit simpler, and hopefully it works. I'll keep tinkering with it until it feels right.

Until next time; God's peace upon you.

No comments:

Post a Comment