Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sunday Sabbath Poetry: Reese Roper

Ska is definitely not my thing. But for whatever reason, I have a special place in my heart for the band Five Iron Frenzy. Apart from the music (which I enjoy), Reese Roper's lyrics are superb, theologically and poetically. FIF's most beloved and well known song is entitled "Every New Day," and what everyone loves about it is the skyrocketing climax at the end. Below is just the chorus and the end of the climactic portion, which in my estimation functions as a wonderful kind of benediction. Along with Wendell Berry's "There is a day" poem, I hope to incorporate it into prayers in worship, because the liturgical scope of each is profound.

Also, my poem below Roper's just kind of welled up over me sometime this past week, and I thought I'd share it. It's a bit sarcastic, even caustic in its tone, but I hope the spirit is evident.

[Update: I have taken down poems I am in the process of submitting for publication. I apologize for the confusion and/or inconvenience!]

- - - - - - -

Every New Day

By Reese Roper (of Five Iron Frenzy)

Dear Father, I need you
Your strength my heart to mend
I want to fly higher
Every new day again

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls once again
Jesus Christ, light of the world burning bright within our hearts forever
Freedom means love without condition, without a beginning or an end
Here's my heart: let it be forever yours -- only you can make every new day feel so new

Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment